Adelante Con Salud
in Association with the
NHMA: Council Of Residents Midwest Regional Conference
Hosted by Rush University Medical Center
Saturday, January 15, 2011
Rush University Medical Center
Professional Office Building
Searle Conference Center
1725 West Harrison Street
Chicago, IL 60612
|Keynote Speaker: Marty Castro
Castro Synergies, LLC
President & CEO and Chairman,
Illinois Human Rights Commission
Chicago Bar Association Honoree
|___________||Guest Speaker: Carmen Velásquez
Founder of Alivio Medical Center
Saturday General Conference Timetable
8 AM Registration
8:40 AM First Presentation
11:45 AM lunch
4 PM LMSA Midwest Business Meeting / Elections
7 PM Dinner + Salsa
- Pre-Med Students:
- “Guide to the Medical School application process” Sunny Gibson
- Medical Student Panel
- Med students:
- “Guide to Residency Application Process (ERAS) + M4 panel”
- “How to be a STAR intern” Dr. Quirindongo/Dr. Sylvia
- “Tips for a successful visiting med student rotation” Dr. Bowen/Dr.Coss
- Suture Workshop
- “Non-Linear Medicine: What Else can I do with an MD” Dr. Ilan Shapiro (AM)
- “The Resident Role in Promoting health Equity for Latinos” Dr. Aida Giachello (PM)
- “The Resident Role in Assessing and Enhancing the Institutional Climate to Promote Diversity” Dr. Cynthia Boyd (PM)
- General Interest:
- “The International Medicine Experience rotations and beyond” Dan Heifermen
- “Triage and Evacuation in a Mass Casualty Incident” Second Lieutenant Matthew Greve, US Army and Oscar Aguirre.
- Scientific Poster Presentation with cash prizes for best pre-medical student, medical student, and resident posters*
Sunday, January 16, 2011
Regional Conference Community Service Project
- Career and Science Fair: Instituto del Progreso Latino, 2570 S. Blue Island Ave., 11am-2pmThis volunteer opportunity is designed to inspire young students to
pursue careers in the health care field. There will be representatives
from various health programs as well as clinical skills, college application and professionalism workshops. For our younger students we will have fun science experiments and health activities to encourage interest in this area of their schooling. One of the ways we can influence diversity in the health care field is by giving students the information they need to become successful in any career they choose.
- Mini Health Fair: Lincoln Methodist Church 2242 S. Damen Ave, 12:30-2:30 pm
This community is greatly in need of access to quality health care.
After Sunday service, volunteers will provide basic health screening
including: blood pressure, blood glucose and vision testing.
Volunteers will also provide health and nutrition education to
increase awareness of the health issues that exist within the Latino
communities of Chicago.Rides will be available from Rush to the volunteer sites. Pre-med
students welcome to volunteer. No clinical experience required.
Meals (included with registration payment):
Saturday January 15th
Buffet dinner at the Medical District Marriot (625 South Ashland) with a live Latin music band and Salsa lessons
It will be a great night of fun and dancing. Location is across the street from the conference.
Stay with a student host for free by requesting one in the Registration Form. Please note: There is limited availability. Hotel lodging is recommended.
- or -
Book a hotel room at the Medical District Marriot (625 South Ashland) for our special rate $109 per night for up to 4 people.
Call 312-491-1234 soon to take advantage of this special rate!