Tickets are now available for the
2014 LMSA MidWest Conference:
“Advancing the Front Line: Latino Physicians Across All Specialties”
Co-hosted by Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine
Northwestern Family Medicine Residency!
Click HERE to buy tickets!
We are pleased to announce that the 24th Annual LMSA Midwest Regional Conference will take place on:
- January 18th-19th 2014 at Northwest Feinberg School of Medicine
- Location: Robert H Lurie Research Bldg, 303 E Superior St. Chicago IL 60611
Please join us for great speakers, clinically relevant workshops, networking opportunities, and community service! High school students, undergraduate students, medical students, residents, and physicians are all invited!
We look forward to seeing you there!
Discounted hotel rates have been arranged at the Omni Chicago Hotel (676 N Michigan Ave, Chicago, IL), located just a ½ mile from the conference venue. The discounted rate is $125 per night for a room that includes 2 double beds and a sleeper sofa. Please note, that the discounted rate is only valid for Friday and Saturday night.
To reserve your room, call 1-800-843-6664 and ask to make a room reservation under the group Northwestern Latino Medical, or reserve online. When you reserve your room, you will need to provide:
- Names of each person staying in the room (those not listed cannot check in if they are first to arrive)
- Anticipated arrival and departure time
Hosted by: LMSA, 2014 Midwest Regional Service Day and UIC CHOPS Program
In collaboration w/ Heartland Blood Centers, The National Cesar Chavez Challenge
- Sunday, January 19: Begins at 9:00am and ends at 2:00pm
- Volunteer shifts: All day, 9:30a-12p, or 11:45a-2p
There is no additional registration required to participate in the service day. When you purchase your ticket online, you can indicate whether you would like to be involved.
For those who sign up, you will be contacted a week or so before the conference with specific information regarding the service day activities.
For more information, please contact VP of Community Affairs Lindsey Retterath rettera2(Replace this parenthesis with the @ sign)msu.edu
Available volunteer roles include:
- Registration (Fluency in Spanish preferred)
- BMI Counseling (Fluency in Spanish preferred)
- Screening and Counseling Stations
Volunteers will be assigned either to the blood drive or health fair.
- ≤15 at a time will volunteer at the health fair
- ≥ 2 at a time will volunteer at the blood drive
- ≤ 3 at a time can donate blood
Contact Lindsey Retterath (lmretterath(Replace this parenthesis with the @ sign)gmail.com) to schedule your shift.
Health Fair: In collaboration with the ongoing UIC CHOP program
A Church-Based Health Outreach Project (CHOP) was developed in 2011 by UIC Family Medicine Resident (PGY1) Patricia Chico. The site for the project is Saint Pius V Church on 19th & Ashland in Chicago’s Pilsen neighborhood, which is predominately Latino.
The health fairs are held free of charge on Sunday’s after mass.
Services provided are: Blood pressure, cholesterol, glucose, and BMI testing.
In addition to free testing, information on nutrition, free clinics, and other health-related topics are also provided via handouts, posters, and consultation. The educational table also includes free balloon animals for children and a variety of vegetables to encourage better nutrition.
We expect up to 100 community participants from St Pius’ parish and Pilsen.
Blood drive: In collaboration with Heartland Blood Centers
- Click HERE to schedule your donation appointment
- Time: 10am – 2pm. Come any time, with your photo ID.
- Location: St. Pius V Church (1919 S Ashland Ave Chicago, IL 60608)
- All donors receive a t-shirt & entry into an hourly raffle.
St Pius V Church is located in the Pilsen neighborhood, which has long been home to Latino communities in Chicago. For more information, visit www.pilsenportal.org
Heartland Blood Centers will bring 3 beds for donation, and personnel for donations. Two volunteers at any given time will be needed to run blood drive registration and snacks, respectively. Up to 3 people can donate blood at a time.
We are partnering with a national service initiative honoring Cesar Chavez, www.chavezchallenge.org
Event: 2014 LMSA Midwest Regional Conference at Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine
Date: January 18th, 2014
Prizes: 1st place $250, 2nd place $150, 3rd place $100
Who can submit?
- Any premed, medical student or resident may submit.
- At least one author must be able to attend the LMSA Midwest Regional Conference to present their poster.
- All work that pursues meaningful academic inquiry will be accepted. This competition is a forum for students to receive feedback on their work from professionals and peers.
What is the submission process?
- Abstracts should be submitted to the VP of Academics and Health Policy, Ana Mauro amauro2(Replace this parenthesis with the @ sign)uic.edu, by the deadline below. Abstracts will be placed into one of the following categories:
- Basic Sciences
- Public and Global Health
- Clinical and Translational research
- All abstracts will be reviewed by the Academic and Health Policy Committee.
- Submissions will be invited to display their poster at LMSA Midwest Regional Conference and will receive free admission to conference for abstract authors!
- Posters will be evaluated by a committee of professionals and peers.
- Abstracts will also be published in conference program.
Submission Deadline is January 1, 2014
Sponsors & Exhibitors
On Saturday between 12:00-2:00pm there will be an exhibitor fair taking place. We anticipate approximately 100-150 medical students, 60 pre-meds and 40 high school students to be in attendance. Therefore, we are extending an invitation to any medical schools, residency programs or other organizations that are interested in reaching out to these student groups. This is a unique opportunity for programs to recruit the region’s top student leaders who are passionate about quality patient care and diversity in medicine.
For those who are unable to attend the conference, there are also sponsorships opportunities available. For more information on sponsoring and exhibiting at the conference, please see our information pack.
Download Sponsors & Recruiters Invitation Letter: HERE
Parking for the conference will be available in the following parking lots
- $5.75 for 24 hours
- Parking will need to be paid for in cash at registration, exact change please
- There are no “in and out” privileges for the parking lots
- The lots are within walking distance of the conference location
- Lot C: Huron-Superior Parking (222 E Huron St, Chicago, IL 60611)
- Lot D: Erie-Ontario Parking (321 E Erie St, Chicago, IL 60611)
The Latino Medical Student Association (LMSA) is a national student-led organization that works to unify Latino medical students and their allies to promote and develop a generation of culturally competent physician leaders who are prepared to serve our country’s growing Latino population. LMSA Midwest began in 1990 at the University of Illinois and has since grown to include nearly 20 active chapters from medical schools in eight states. The enormous growth and success over the years has been the direct result of the hard work of many passionate medical students from across the region who have who have become involved in regional leadership.
Each year at the regional conference during the business meeting, an Executive Board for the following year is elected. As an active member in LMSA, we encourage all medical students to consider running for a position. This is an exciting opportunity for students who are passionate about LMSA and have fresh, new ideas to join the regional leadership team and make an impact.
Any medical student who is a member of LMSA Midwest may run for any and multiple positions on the executive board which include:
- Co-Presidents (2)
- Vice President of Budget and Finance,
- Vice President of Information and Networking
- Vice President of Community Affairs
- Vice President of Academic Affairs and Health Policy
- Premed liaison
- Director of Communications
- Regional Conference Coordinator
For more information, please download the Election information document