- Unify all Latino Midwest medical students into one organization
- Provide a voice for underrepresented medical students
- Actively promote recruitment / retention of Latino students at all levels
- Educate medical students on Latino health issues
- Advocate for the rights of Latinos in health care
- Provide leadership opportunities for Latinos
- Promote volunteerism in the Latino community
How to Start a Chapter
1. First, please register your chapter at: http://lmsa.net/midwest/members/chapter-registration/
2. Next you will need to elect officers and draft a constitution:
- Generally new chapters have a president who may or may not act as the delegate (the main contact person for LMSA) other possible officers may include a treasurer position as well as a communications officer, academics, and community service are other popular positions.
- the rest of your constitution usually follows the parameters for student organizations at your institution. you may wish to use the mission of LMSA and tailor to your particular groups goals.
- If you need more help/have any questions please let us know!
3. Third, in order to receive all the benefits of membership with LMSA and complete your registration your chapter will be responsible for paying dues. LMSA Members are entitled to apply for scholarships, attend conferences at a discounted rate, apply for reimbursement for travel expenses to and from conferences, as well as run for regional and national positions among other opportunities that may become available. Please note that for 2011-2012 new chapters will not be required to pay dues.
Instatement of Chapter Dues at the following scale:
o $100 for chapters with ten or more (10+) members
o $75 for chapters with six to nine (6-9) members
o $50 for chapters with five or less (<5) members.
We encourage you and your officers to attend the National Conference held this year at Western University in Pomona, CA April 7-10th 2016. For more information please visit: http://lmsa.net/national-conference
Lastly, it is important, especially for new chapters, to attend the LMSA Midwest Regional Conference which will be held this year in Cincinnati, OH February 26-27th at the University of Cincinnati. Please see “Events” tab for more information about the LMSA Midwest Regional Conference 2016.
Thanks again for your interest and passion for Latino Health.
Welcome to LMSA!