Application Now Open!
The Cinthya Felix Scholarship was developed in 2011 to assist undergraduate and post-baccalaureate students who are interested in pursuing a career in medicine. Cinthya Felix grew up in East Los Angeles, graduated from University of California, Los Angeles, (UCLA) in 2007 with a degree in English and Spanish literature and was the first undocumented student to attend Columbia University’s Mailman School of Public Health. She was instrumental in founding the UCLA group IDEAS (Improving Dreams, Equality, Access, and Success), an on-campus group dedicated to supporting and advocating for AB 540 students. She wanted to become a physician and serve her community. Cinthya was 26 years old when she died in May 2010 in a car accident. At that time, Cinthya was working multiple jobs as a waitress, research assistant, and baby sitter to pay for her rent, food, tuition, and to send money to her family. Read more about previous scholarship recipients here.
This year, LMSA-West will award three (3) scholarship recipients with $500 each.
– Must be committed to pursuing a career in medicine and dedicated to serving the Latino and underserved communities.
– Applicants should demonstrate a desire to advance the state of healthcare and education in Latino and underserved communities through leadership in extracurricular activities and/or membership in civic organizations.
– Must be sophomore level or higher at 4-year university or post-baccalaureate student during the 2018-2019 academic year.
– Students are eligible to receive the scholarship regardless of immigration or citizenship status, as long as the university they attend will allow them to enroll and register for classes.
– Strong consideration will be placed upon financial need.
– Must be a dues-paying pre-med member of LMSA-West. (Can contact LMSA Executive Board for financial assistance if needed).
– Must be a resident or attending school within the LMSA-West region states (Arizona, California, Hawaii, Nevada, Oregon, Utah, Washington, Wyoming, Alaska, Montana, and Idaho).
– LMSA-West reserves the right to withdraw or withhold scholarship pending submission of necessary documents.
DEADLINE: FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 1, 2019 11:59PM PST
CLICK HERE FOR APPLICATION!
All application materials should be submitted via email and attached in a single Adobe Acrobat PDF format titled LMSA Cinthya Felix Scholarship – Applicant Last Name, First Initial 2018 to VP_Scholarship@lmsa.net.
Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org