The Cinthya Felix Scholarship was developed in 2011 to assist undergraduate and post-baccalaureate students who are interested in pursuing a career in medicine. Cinthya Felix grew up in East Los Angeles, graduating from UCLA in 2007 with a degree in English and Spanish literature and was the first undocumented student to attend Columbia University’s Mailman School of Public Health. She was instrumental in founding the UCLA group IDEAS (Improving Dreams, Equality, Access, and Success), an on-campus group dedicated to supporting and advocating for AB 540 students. She wanted to become a physician and serve her community. Cinthya was 26 years old when she died in May 2010 in a car accident. At that time, Cinthya was working multiple jobs as a waitress, research assistant, and baby sitter to pay for her rent, food, tuition, and to send money to her family.
Deadline: December 22, 2017 by 11:59 PDT
- Must be committed to pursuing a career in medicine and dedicated to serving the Latino and underserved communities.
- Applicants should demonstrate a desire to advance the state of health care and education in Latino and underserved communities through leadership in extracurricular activities and/or membership in civic organizations.
- Must be sophomore level or higher at 4-year university or post-baccalaureate student during the 2017-2018 academic year.
- Students are eligible to receive the scholarship regardless of immigration or citizenship status, as long as the university they attend will allow them to enroll and register for classes.
- Strong consideration will be placed upon financial need.
- Must be a resident or attending school within the LMSA-West region states (Arizona, California, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Nevada)
- Must be a dues-paying pre-med member of LMSA-West.
- Winners must be available to be interviewed for the LMSA-West Newsletter.
- LMSA-West reserves the right to withdraw or withhold scholarship pending submission of necessary documents.
Word Doc: 2017 Cinthya Felix Scholarship Application .docx
Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org